Re: [orca-list] orca and fc9 better news

If I then go to the preferences dialog and set options then press apply,
poof! no more speech!

You're obviously making selections that don't work, or are improperly
configured at some point in the chain of things that all have to work
together. Don't do that.

As I carefully tried to suggest to you in my last message, there are
several layers of support for speech from Orca that all must work for
speech to happen. Either of those points have multiple ways to fail. If
you're going to play around with multiple sources of sound and speech,
please learn to be more specific in reporting problems. In other words,
take some responsibility for understanding how things fit together. We
should not have to guess in order to help you.

My guess for your current problem with Cepstral: Your gnome-speech isn't
compiled with cepstral support. Go to: /usr/lib/bonobo/servers/ and do
'ls GGNOME_Speech* ' . Is the gnome-speech cepstral driver listed?

***Correct Fedora solution:

Obtain the src rpm from a Fedora mirror and rebuild with th rpmbuild
command.

People might tell you about downloading tar files or checking out of
Orca trunk, but those are generic answers that are less than helpful to
the overall health of your installation. In other words, if you were
telling us that you were on Debian or Ubuntu, the correct answer would
be the same--just apt and dpkg based, rather than rpm, because that's
what those distros use. Fedora uses yum and rpm, and so should you until
you actually know a lot more about what you're doing.

Janina