Re: [orca-list] Test: Thunderbird has improved, and seems to work rather stable

am Fr 16. Mai 2008 um 09:57:24 schrieb Steve Holmes <steve holmesgrown com>:
I've had little experience with Thunderbird so far but lately got it to work
pretty well.  I don't know about any preferred settings but I tabbed around
a few times and managed to get the message list to work right.  I honestly
can't say exactly what I did.  A couple times, I got into the list but later
lost speech in it and it usually got fixed when I quit out of T Bird and
restarted it; hardly a viable solution but the past 3 or 4 times I was in
there, I never lost proper focus in the message list.  The tree list of mail
folders always worked for me.  I loved the speed of navigation within a
message body.

In order to set up Thunderbird for use with screen readers - and this is
also true for Windows - you should deactivate the message preview by
pressing F8. After this you get only two structures, the folders and the
messages list. That's the most important suggestion I make.
You also might adjust the layout in the view menu by deactivating the tool
bar and switch to classical view, if it isn't done by default.
To answer all questions in one mail:
I rarely use the flat review keys, so haven't tested it in
Thunderbird. Maybe there's to do some work.
You switch the Gecko navigation by pressing Orca+F12. Note: If you do this
while reading mails, you can't read at all, it's only useful when editing
messages.
The ommission of blank lines I only observed in the editing mode. But if
you
switch to Gecko navigation, the structure of the text is recognized.
Hermann