Re: [orca-list] date and time as well as system administration with orca?

Hi Daniel:

- Can someone attach their orca-customizations.py script so I can have a hotkey for date and time? I don't have braille so its hard to check the indentation and it doesn't seem to say the time after following the instructions on the orca site.

I just cut/pasted the exact code from the "How I can customize Orca so it can speak / braille current date and time information with a keyboard command??" question of the FAQ:

http://live.gnome.org/Orca/FrequentlyAskedQuestions

It works for me. So, I suspect maybe you might have some syntax errors or something in your file. :-(

- How do I setup sysadmin?
I read that a ~/.orbitrc file must be created? Is this correct? (for root)
Then what lines should it contain?
(and how should the indentation be?)
I had trouble with the instructions from the website again, and would like to be able to use my graphical desktop more often.

http://live.gnome.org/Orca/SysAdmin has the instructions, but they might not be concise enough if you're skimming. In a nutshell, assuming you're using Ubuntu:

1) Create the file "/root/.orbitrc". The spelling/punctuation/case of the filename and its contents are all important. Here's the two lines that should be in the file:

ORBIIOPIPv4=1
ORBIIOPUNIX=0

2) Edit "/etc/sudoers" to add the following line after the line with "env_reset" in it. Again, spelling/punctuation/case are important and I believe it needs to be *after* the "env_reset" line:

Defaults env_keep+="GTK_MODULES"

I'd also recommend at least logging out and logging back in. A reboot would also be a nice sane heavy sledge hammer to yield some sanity.

Hope this helps,

Will

Thanks for any help!

Cheers,