[orca-list] Accessible installation programs

Hi,

Luke and Will, I think it might be useful to lay out the constraints that you are working under when creating an accessible installation program.  This might allow people to make constructive suggestions on how to improve these programs.

As an outsider, this is how I see it. Someone creating an accessible installation program faces two problems. The first problem is available (or a lack of available) space on the installation CD.  The second problem is the need to know the user's desired language before any assistive technology (AT) can be started.  Are there any other constraints?

The optimal solution to me would be to start some form of assistance when the language selection menu appears to the sighted user. It would be useful to indicate arrival at this menu with an auditory cue.  At this point, the user needing AT could indicate this by pressing a key-chord (e.g., Alt-Ctrl-1, Alt-Ctrl-2, ... Alt-Ctrl-5) to select one of the AT configurations.  For those of us who need speech or Braille, pressing Alt-Ctrl-3 would provide minimal speech and Braille output in this menu. One serviceable, if ugly hack would be to have low-quality recordings of the different language names, each language name being voiced as it is selected as the user arrowed through the menu.  Similarly, a small Braille table could provide relevant Braille translations of the language names as they are selected.  Once the language has been selected, the requested AT services could be started.  This means that the selection between the live desktop and the installation program can be made with AT support.  One assumption is made here--when the language selection menu appears, a fully functional, if stripped down, OS is running.  Is this a valid assumption?

I'm guessing that this sort of solution is precluded by the first constraint I mentioned above--there isn't space on the installation CD for the recordings, Braille table, or the mechanisms to deliver them to the user, not to mention the facilities needed for other ATs.

I just realized another assumption I am making--these early selection screens are using enough of the gnome infrastructure to allow AT services to be started after the language has been selected.  Is this a poor assumption?

I'm sure that there are several other assumptions that I am making  without realizing it.  However, I'm hoping this will start a discussion that can lead to a workable solution that all can be happy with.

Thanks for all the work,

dave