Re: [orca-list] Firefox3 and sayAll broken with latest trunk update

am Mi 05. Mär 2008 um 09:23:48 schrieb Gaijin <gaijin clearwire net>:
Isn't this what orca does now? Its still a bit buggy, but for the most part
you can do what you want.

      Not really, in my opinion.  The keystrokes should all be in
Firefox, or Firefox should be made aware of special assisstive
technology requests like "stream document to port xxxx when a certain
code is received from an assistive tech device/program.        Without some
kind of intercommunications standard, this problem    of which keys
which program can use is going to reoccur every       time  some new feature
is added.  Screen readers pretty much have the Insert hotkey copy-
righted and crated, ready for shipping.  Only a word processor would
need it, so if the key is pressed and released, the keystroke could be
passed to the word processor without interruption.  I love the hotkey
plug-in idea the folks at Mozilla came up with (if I was reading things
right).  I just think the plug-in idea should be taken  to a deeper
level and create a unified plug-in for assistive tech that everyone can
use or ignore.

OK, that's interesting: A screen reader is a program to read the screen,
nothing else. But in case of FF (and I think not only in FF), Orca has a
whole lot more things to do, and that's the problem; hope I've
understood you.
Since I think it's impossible to write one pluging for every program,
what about the suggestion to write such an accessibility plugin for FF?
You can turn it on with one keystroke, and with that very same key you
quit it. Its purpose is to present the webpage in an accessible manner.
Advantage: Screen reader developers could concentrate on developing the
capability of their program, so that a lot more programs are accessible
(see the discussion on R-box and other audio programs).

My madness is two-fold.  Open source users can more
easily integrate the technology, while commercial vendors will probably
just ignore it, leaving Microsoft out of the running, hard-hearted, and
uncaring of us poor handicapped users.  M$ will get a black eye from
just being so profit oriented and decentralized.  Even if they implement
the same tech, it doesn't mean every other Windows software writer will
too. <snickering>  Linux wins, Microsoft loses.  Makes me all warm and
tingly inside, just thinking about it.

Sorry, but I am in doubt of this. MS created MSAA, and it turns out to
become a pretty good standard. As an example I want to remind you of the
2 links I posted yesterday. You will find exactly that plugin you've
demanded, however for IE only.
As a consequence of MSAA, a lot of programs, and not only MS ones, are
fairly accessible. A program that uses standard Windows routines, can be
handled by every decent screen reader.
So I think that MS bashing makes no sense. The task is to compete with
them, and we cannot do this by always turning everything down, that
comes from Windows.
Hermann