[orca-list] Shutting down or restarting a computer even if not root

Hi List,
I'm just wondering about this: usually, commands like halt, reboot or
shutdown are preserved to the user root. However, when I am logged in as
robin on my laptop using Gnome, I can shutdown or reboot the laptop
without any problems. I'm sure there's a really easy explanation for
this, but why can I shutdown my laptop through Gnome even if not root?
Thanks!
Robin