From: orca-list-bounces gnome org [mailto:orca-list-bounces gnome org] On
Behalf Of Lutz Kaiser
Sent: Thursday, June 26, 2008 5:50 PM
To: Willie Walker
Cc: orca-list gnome org
Subject: [orca-list] speech-dispatcher with mbrola trough espak

hi list, it's my second trial to send, the first one went  to David...

I will explain how this works with the german Voice "de4" from mbrola under
ubuntu Gutsy. It should work with any other mbrola-voice too, witch espeak
supports. (I took some files from my hardy
"/usr/share/espeak-data/voces/mbrola" to be able to use more mbrola-voices

I'm using the latest orca from svn.
(please excuse any typos or wrong translations, i run a german enviroment -
and off curse any improvments or hints are welcome)

-Steps for installing mbrola:
. To install the Linux Mbrola binary, download:
http://www.tcts.fpms.ac.be/synthesis/mbrola/bin/pclinux/mbr301h.zip.
 unpack the archive, and copy and rename the file: mbrola-linux-i386 to
mbrola.
copy it to e.g. /usr/bin/mbrola and change the group to e.g. audio, which
the user can access.

Download the de4 voice from:
http://www.tcts.fpms.ac.be/synthesis/mbrola/mbrcopybin.html.
Unpack the archive, and copy the "de4" data file (not the whole "de4"
directory) somewhere convenient (eg. /usr/share/mbrola/de4 ).
I also changed the group to "audio" - but i don't now if this is necessary.

-adjustments in speech-dispatcher:
-copy /etc/speech-dispatcher/modules/espeak-generic.conf to
"mbrola-generic.conf".
-edit "mbrola-generic.conf with an editor of your choice, go to the entry "
*GenericExecuteSynth \*
and replace the line below it:
"echo \"$DATA\" | /usr/bin/espeak -w /tmp/espeak.wav -v $VOICE -s $RATE -a
$VOLUME -p $PITCH --stdin && aplay /tmp/espeak.wav"

with:
"espeak \"$DATA\" -v mb-de4 -s 360 | /usr/bin/mbrola -e
/usr/share/mbrola/de4 - - | aplay -r 16000 -fs16 -q"

save, and open the File:
/etc/speech-dispatcher/speechd.conf
add the line:
AddModule "mbrola" "sd_generic" "mbrola-generic.conf"
save and exit.
now restart speech-dispatcher.
(sudo /etc/init.d/speech-dispatcher restart)

-test:
spd-say -o mbrola-generic "any text"

now, using it with orca:
go into preverences, by typing orca-key + spacebar, -select as speech-system
- speech-dispatcher -select as speech-synthesizer "mbrola"
type alt+o,
and you're ready

hope it helps anybody
Lutz