[orca-list] Orca prefereneces inaccessible

Hi

I'm running orca 2.22.2 with at-spi 1.22.1 on a gentoo system.
everything seems to be working as expected except for the orca
preferences.  When I load them, it says starting orca preferences but
then nothing else is said.  If I alt-tab to a different window and
then alt-tab back, it says orca preferences inaccessible.   According
to someone with sight, the preferences window is shown.

Does anyone have any ideas what might be causing this?  I set the
debug level to all and created a log, which I can send if people think
it'll help, but I can't find any errors in it.

Alastair Irving