Re: [orca-list] just wondering why inflection of espeak is not good in orca?

On 18 Jun, Willie Walker <William Walker Sun COM> wrote:

I don't know why the prosody and/or fundamental frequency contour
might be any different.

I'm also not sure how to determine the available variants via a
method call and I'm CC'ing the eSpeak folks on this mail in hopes
they might be able to help.

You can list the eSpeak voice variants by the eSpeak API call:

espeak_ListVoices(voice_spec)

where you set the "languages" field in the voice_spec parameter to the
string "variant".

The equivalent terminal command is:
  espeak --voices=variant

eSpeak's voice variants can be thought of as the equivalent of the
"head size" adjustment in some other synthesizers.

I'm not sure what you mean by "inflection"?  Perhaps you mean "pitch
range"?  Is that what the NVDA "inflection" control changes? If so,
that can be changed by the eSpeak API call:

espeak_SetParameter(espeakRANGE, value, 0)

where "value" has a range of 0 to 100 with a default of 50.  A low
value gives a monotone.

It's interesting that you prefer a greater pitch range.  I prefer the
default (which is why it's the default :-).