Re: [orca-list] Links List - firefox extension

On Thu, 2008-06-05 at 13:09 -0400, Rich Caloggero wrote:
I do want to have some sort of filtering option where you can type into a
searchbox and when you tab back to the list, you'll see it filtered
according to what you've typed.  I'll get to this eventually.
This feature shouldn't be too difficult, or at least the idea isn't and
it wouldn't be in certain programming languages.

I would say you would need to have a full list internal to the plugin
(not just the visual list), and on change of the search box the list
view is refreshed with those items from the internal list which start
with the content of the search box. In python this would be just a
matter of populating the list from inside an if statement such as
for item in fullLinkList:
  if item.name.startswith(searchTerm):
    linksView.add(item)

For more efficiency it might be worth considering a search button so
that code is only searched for when the user wants it, rather than every
time they press a key. I suppose it could also be done when the search
box looses focus, but this probably would look odd visually.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

As per Will's suggestion of starting with Charles' Firevox navigation code,
I  had thought of that too. The issue for me is reading other people's code.
When your using speech and browsing is done line-by-line, digesting and
propperly understanding someone else's code (or even mine from days gone by)
can be very tedious. So, I'll have to have a look and see how much of it
makes sense to reuse.  I've talked to him in the past, so I think he will be
ok with using some or all of the navigation code, so will give him a shout
when I figure out how I'm going to proceede.

NOte that I have played with headings a bit, and now have an extension akin
to linkslist which displays a list of headings which you can browse and then
you press ok, your focus moves to the one you've selected.  Jaws does this
very well.  I use the focusedElement of the commandDispatcher to set focus.
Once I get next/previous heading navigation working, I'll release that one
for people to play with.

Thanx.
-- Rich