Re: [orca-list] IBMTTS and slackware

Damn! If it's that cheap, er, yuh! I dono though Michael, I'll let another Ubuntu user be the gginny pig. If it works for them, in Hartsy, then, I'll have them talk me through installing it and making it begin speaking but otherwise, ehh, I'm really hesitant. I need now to be proven. I'm sorry, but...

Chris.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Whapples" <mwhapples aim com>
To: "Chris Gilland: Desktop" <chrisgilland carolina rr com>
Cc: <orca-list gnome org>
Sent: Sunday, June 01, 2008 7:31 PM
Subject: Re: [orca-list] IBMTTS and slackware

As I understand it, voxin uses the same synthesiser as ttsynth (the
voxin website says it provides IBM viavoice tts). This should sound near
enough the same. I believe ttsynth and voxin could be considered as
synthesiser distributions (they provide the synthesiser, and some other
tools to aid using the synthesiser, eg. drivers for various screen
readers, and in the case of voxin the compatibility library as well).

I have just checked the prices of both ttsynth and voxin, and can't help
feeling someone is taking the... TTSynth is 40 USD where as voxin is
4.29 eur (or $5.78). What is one getting for $34.22 when buying TTSynth,
according to the website it won't be support. I would be interested to
know why TTSynth is 6.92 (to two decimal places) times more than voxin.
Can you think of anything else where two different sellers vary in price
by a factor of nearly 7!

At the cost of voxin, and the potential that they might be interested in
what I achieve with slackware, so may provide some technical information
on what I need to have, I might just buy it.

Michael Whapples