To: <orca-list gnome org>
Sent: Saturday, May 31, 2008 9:02 PM
Subject: Re: [orca-list] Orca gedit and sudo

On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 08:44:24PM -0300, E.J. Zufelt wrote:

I am trying to edit the grub menu list, which I assume needs to be done through sudo. Here is what I've done and my problem.

1. Open a terminal window.
2. type "sudo gedit" and press enter.
3. enter my password and press enter.
4. Orca stops talking and nothing I do (ALT Tab or ALT F4) gets it to start again.

Orca, running under your login identity, won't interact with Gnome
applications executed as root without additional configuration, which has been much discussed on this mailing list (I would suggest reading the archives).

The best solution is to use an editor such as Emacs, Vi, or even a very basic
one such as Nano, instead of gedit, to make the configuration changes.