Re: [orca-list] orca virtual window suggestion

Hi Steve.

I have a couple points.  First, why is using the standard clipboard
not as desirable?

I suppose part of it is my personal feeling that an assistive technology
should not change the state of items in the environment to which it is
providing access.  Beyond that, is it desirable to be able to copy and
paste flat review content independently of copying and pasting text and
other objects?  That's up for you all to decide; not me. <smile>

is it more difficult to implement or something?

That's my guess.  Like I said, I sat aside an hour to give this a try.
Haven't looked into what would be necessary to store things in the
regular ol' clipboard yet.

that same point, I would think if the standard clipboard was used, you
would solve the problem of inserting text into a terminal as well as
other editable text areas.

Oh definitely.  That thought did cross my mind. <smile>

My other question concerns applying patches.  I've applied patches
before and realize that the target bing patched is very specific and
must be a certain version or in a particular state.

Depends on the patch and what has changed.  Conflicts tend to arise when
the code being patched has changed.  That's not the case here -- and
shouldn't be for at least a little while.  Besides, I just created the
patch.  Current trunk should be fine.  But that does raise a good point
for others:  While I haven't tried it, my guess is that the patch is not
2.20.x compatible.

What's far more important is the bit about removing the keybindings from
the patch from your user-settings.py.

--joanie