Re: [orca-list] PC Linux...

Dear master,

KDE desktop system is currently not supported by Screen Reader, which You could valuably use. The Accessibility project for enabling users to use KDE with Screen Reader is relatively new and this project exists for short time. The development team started with Accessibility architecture development and The development team is also developing Speech driver similar module like Gnome speech services is, but everythink is in The stage of testing and can not be used for valuable work.

Try to rather use Gnome desktop environment instead of waiting for accessibility support for KDE. Orca is providing valuable assistive technology tool for accessing most important and The most used applications, which are supporting At-spi accessibility architecture for Gnome. If You would like to use Linux operating system with graphical user interface really valuably and with best stability awailable, try some distributions with Orca.

Ubuntu Linux could be very good choice. Opensuse is also working very well, but Festival synthesizer is only included,so if You would like to use other languages after installation, You had to install Espeak support or You had to install other text to speech engines.

Mr Walker is intensively working on The accessible Opensolaris distribution. But my opinion is, that Opensuse and Ubuntu Linux are now The best awailable distributions specially prepared for visually impaired computer users.

I Am appreciating development team of Fedora and if I do not know about other distributions, I Am very sorry. I Am appreciating all developers of all Linux distributions. But I know about those distributions, Ubuntu and Opensuse. If somebody of us know other accessible distributions, I will and not only I will welcome those information.

Foresight Linux live Cd with Gnome from Year 2007 can not be installed and I experienced problems during plug and play process, My sound cart could not be founded. And Orca has been probably modified, so no setup dialog box welcomed Me, only Welcome to Orca main Window appeared. No chance to enable accessibility support for Gnome.

Opensolaris will be probably thirt distribution, which could be used by visually impaired users after finishing programmers work and deep cooperational task with development team of Opensolaris. Everythink will be awailable thanks to Sun Microsystems and development team of Orca and thanks to very valuable and kind man Mr Willie Walker. I Am very glad, that this man was born.