Re: [orca-list] Punctuation, capital letters, exchange of characters and strings, generally error in the design of Orca

Hi Jan:

I cannot agree with this. Maybe it is not supported by
Gnome Speech, but the important ones certainly are supported
by Speech Dispatcher. We have been trying to explain this thing
to the Orca developers and offer the project, but I must say that with
very little success.

I may be confused. My understanding of what speech dispatcher provides has changed several times as the result of conversations with Brailcom people. At one time, my understanding was that speech dispatcher would automatically handle all sorts of things, such as verbalized capitalization, audio cues, punctuation, etc. If the engine didn't support it, speech dispatcher would supply it.

Based upon recent conversations, my current understanding of speech dispatcher is that it merely passes text on to the speech engine with some additional engine-specific markup if the engine supported it. I believe the words were "it's just a speech *dispatcher*". So, if the speech engine doesn't support things such as verbalized or audio cues for capital letters, the user will not get those features.

If this is the case, we have a fundamental disagreement that we need to get past. My argument is that a user wants a feature and they don't care how it is delivered. They just want it to work. My impression from Brailcom is that the speech engine itself must provide the feature; if the engine doesn't do it, the user must negotiate with the engine provider to get the feature added. If this is an accurate impression, I do not believe it is a practical stance to take and it is not being done with the best interests of the end user in mind.

So lets go back to a constructive solution

I agree. Let's focus on the user requirements proposed in http://mail.gnome.org/archives/orca-list/2008-March/msg00566.html and discuss how we can deliver these requirements when also dealing with speech engines that do not have direct support for them.

Will