Re: [orca-list] Blockquotes?

Hi Hermann

Now I'm confused. When skipping to the next text, Window-Eyes reads some text from inside links and not other text. How does reading the title attribute from abbr inside links help? I thought the whole point was to skip over links. But if it is a desired behavior, what other text from inside links should be read? e.g. do we want to read image alternative text? And if we are going to read text from inside links when skipping in this way, hadn't we better come up with a better description for the process than skipping to the next non-link text, since we'd only be skipping over some parts of links and not others?

A better algorithm would only be relevant if the only purpose of this sort of skipping is avoiding long navigation lists. Is this the only purpose? If so, for example, we could think about providing a skip navigation key or something, looking for clumps of three or more links by themselves. The Firefox Accessibility Extension has navigation functionality for moving between different lists of navigation.

--
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis

Hermann wrote:
The textblock scheme is the very same in Jaws and Window-Eyes, and WE's behavior is not at all a bug. It has been set up to odd default values, while Jaws uses a reasonable value. I don't care about the keystroke, I want to see it work. And if you know a better algorithm to implement it, please contact the Orca team. The background information provided by WE seems sufficient, I think we should not extend it. The frame information is under Windows either provided by the DOM mechanism or by MSAA; the latter seems to give better results (WE). Since there is no MSAA in Linux, the information can be obtained either by FF's DOM or by AT-SPI, if possible. I think it should be checked out what's better. Properly labeled frames are no problems (WE manual), but that's not usual on many pages, so the task is to get as much useful information as possible. If the team, with your assistance, manage to refactor the "large object" stuff, so that a common user understands it, OK! An BTW: Recognizing headings and tables is more important then block quotes - they belong to the "beef".
Hermann