[orca-list] speech-dispatcher works but needs manual start every time for orca.

hello herman and all listers.
I have finally got sd working consistently with orca and I have
absolutely no problems so far.
the speech quality is superb except that orca does not speek the $
prompt in the terminal even after setting the punctuation to most.
however I am facing a tedious job to get sd started every time I start
my laptop.
firstly as herman suggested I did
sudo update-rc.d speech-dispatcher defaults.
I get the output that says, system startup link for speech-dispatcher
already exists.
I also changed the user=speech-dispatcher to root in the
init./speech-dispatcher script.
but when I run sudo /etc/init.d/speech-dispatcher start, it says can't
create pid file in /var/run/speech-dispatcher wrong permissions.
what could be the problem.
I further found out that there is no such directory called
/var/run/speech-dispatcher.
I now have to first manually create the directory in /var/run and then
chmod it for read write and execute permissions.
then when I do the /etc/init.d/speech-dispatcher start, it works fine.
the next time I re boot the machine the directory is gone and I have
to do the same things again, modus operandy.
regarsd,
Krishnakant.