Orca Is Gaim really accessible?

Hi,
yesterday I tried setting up an IRC account in Gaim.
After providing the neccessary data, I got connected to a server called
Nickserve, telling me, that I must register my nickname. I had to repeat
my password, and then the registration was complete.
However: Every time I reconnected, I had to go throug the same
procedure, because that Nickserver told me, my password was incorrect.
After having repeated it, I got connected.
Is this the regular procedure? I was suggested tu use irc.ubuntu.com as
chat server.
But the real barrier I faced when I tried to download the room list.
Orca locks up and I had to kill Gaim to get it back. When I cannot
download the room list, I don't know which rooms are there.
Does anybody use Gaim as a chat client, or do you prefere Gaim to use
with one of the offered messagin services like AIM, MSN or Yahoo?
I use the latest Orca from SVN.
Regards
Hermann