Re: [orca-list] uninstalling gnome-orca

now that I think I successfully installed orca from the subversion, ("orca -" = 2.19pre) if go ahead and do "sudo apt-get remove gnome-orca" and then confirm, gnome-orca will be removed, and when rebooting and issuing "orca" it tells me /usr/orca was not found or something to that effect. what is the correct way to tell if I am indeed running the version of orca from svn, and how do I correctly remove gnome-orca?

Darn! You're right. :-( This is a major Catch-22 situation. "sudo apt-get remove gnome-orca" always removes /usr/bin/orca. If you issue the command before building from sources, you risk the case where you run into issues building Orca from sources and you're stuck without a screen reader. If you issue the command after building the sources, you end up without /usr/bin/orca. The proper procedure now seems to be:

1) Build/install from sources
2) Make sure the new Orca works
3) sudo apt-get remove gnome-orca
4) Reinstall orca from sources (sudo make install)

Of course, you can always skip the "sudo apt-get remove gnome-orca" part, but all updates will then always complain about the gnome-orca package. Sigh. :-(

Will

has anybody noticed that if you play some music and then quit the music player orca won't be speaking? I have to run it again. is this really true? thanks
Mohammed