Orca Newbie questions about writing scripts for ?

Hello folks,
Maybe i'm stupid, but i'm thinking about delving into script writing for
Orca, but i guess i need a whole bunch of things:
What script editor are people using, or is there a special tool for
this? How do i know what to look for, i mean in that other operating
system, there are window classes, handles etc. I'm just an ordinary
user, in fact i used to say that i'm an idiot when it comes to
programming in any shape or form, but i have managed to gain a little
knowledge about javascript. How hard would it be for me, who only have
studied Javascript to grasp the Python language? I know this last one is
kinda hard to answer, because it has to do with learning capabilities
and skills and such, but one could maybe ask how complicated the
language syntax is? I think, for example, that the shell script syntax
is hard to grasp.
Thanks for any advise and help.
--
/Krister