Re: Orca outputCharAttributes is speech only?

Hi Joanie,
Orca currently has a succinct and a verbose Braille mode. For a deaf-blind user (or some other use cases), a "Braille exclusive" mode might be interesting, where the Braille user interface is driven as if it is the only output modality.

Conceptually I find it an interesting possibility, but I'm not quite
wrapping my head around it yet. Perhaps if you elaborate with some
hypothetical examples?
Would "Braille exclusive" mode essentially be a third level of braille
verbosity -- and one that could still be chosen by individuals who use
speech yet also desire that detailed information in braille?  And if you
are NOT in "Braille exclusive" mode, what sorts of things would only be
presented via speech?

This thought came to me remembering our old outSPOKEN for Windows work, where a customer/programmer built a Braille output layer designed for a Braille-only user. This programmer, working with our user-expert Josh Miele, did a number of innovative things in Braille including using non-Braille dot patterns to indicate buttons and checkboxes (dots 123478 for a "left bracket" and dots 145678 for a "right bracket"), as part making a Braille-focused/only screen reader. So, I toss it out for the Orca user/experts on this list to consider. With all of the work on Personas for Orca, perhaps a deaf-blind persona might be a useful use case to design for. Output for such a user might also be attractive for a "Braille-heavy" user or not; I dunno.

Regards,

Peter Korn
Accessibility Architect,
Sun Microsystems, Inc.