Re: Orca Laptop keybindings.

Hi Willie
On Wed, Mar 29, 2006 at 12:05:04PM EST, Willie Walker wrote:
MODIFIER_ORCA is a made up modifier and is set in
orca.py:_processKeyboardEvent.  It is currently hard-coded to the
"Insert" key, but it would be possible to make the choice of key(s) a
configurable setting.

Ok thanks. It makes sense now.

I'm glad to see you get in involved, and I'm also curious about the
laptop keybindings you plan on doing.  For example, although I've
noticed that the IBM laptop keyboards make keypad usage rather
cumbersome (i.e., you need to lock/unlock the state), other laptops
such as the Toshiba provide an "Fn" key that turns keypad mode on
when you press and hold it, which works well for Orca.

Well from looking at the number pad keystrokes, I could swear you got
most of those keystrokes from the Speakup screen reader for Linux, even
though you probably didn't because the navigation keys are pretty much
the same.

For laptop use, I was thinking of adding another/an alternative modifier
key, due to the position of insert on many laptop keyboards not being in
a useful position. I would then assign keys U I O for line navigation, J
K L for word, and N M < for character. I would then employ a control
modifier to perform other commands that are performed with insert + 1,
3, 7, 9 etc on the number pad. In a few Windows products like JAWS, as
well as Speakup, the capslock key is used as such a modifier. The only
problem with this is the fact that capslock gets turned on and off as
you use it to perform other commands, so like JAWS and speakup, it would
be nice to be able to keep it turned off when being used as a modifier,
and double-tap it to turn on or off like JAWS, or use shift+ Capslock
like speakup.

Hope this makes sense, and I would be happy to hear feedback from
anybody else on the list as well.
--
Luke Yelavich
GPG key: 0xD06320CE