Re: Orca notification area and orca

Hi Joanie:

In general, our goal is to have all applications provide some level of
fundamental accessibility support on their own.  This includes full
keyboard access as well as generally good support for the AT-SPI.  A lot
of this comes for free by just using the toolkit, so we're often in
pretty good shape.  When an application doesn't provide this kind of
support, we generally consider it an application bug.  In these cases,
we file bugs against the application and also try to script for it in
Orca.

So...to answer your question:  the AT-SPI provides a general abstraction
to a number of toolkits, and there are general models/patterns that
consumers of the AT-SPI (such as Orca) find very helpful.  The use of
the ALERT role, for example, is something that helps us know that
something of importance is being presented to the user.  If, after some
careful thought and investigation, we can agree on a general model for
things like "bubbles" (ALERT is a proposal), then we could definitely
script for this in the default script of Orca.

In the interim, however, we can also always provide an
application-specific script to detect these bubbles and present their
information.  If the work is generalizable (i.e., we can detect a
specific pattern of events/roles isolated to these bubbles), then we
could probably also move it to default.py.

Will