To: "Orca screen reader developers" <orca-list gnome org>
Sent: Friday, July 07, 2006 8:52 AM
Subject: Re: Orca orca on ubuntu

Hi Cody. On my desktop I built Orca from sources, got that same error,
and was equally puzzled.  I suppose in an ideal "Linux for Human Beings"
world, there is no need to compile stuff. <smile>  Anyway, I installed
gcc and then tried again and got a couple of different warnings which
totally escape me now. But suffice it to say there were a few other
packages that needed obtaining first.

On my laptop, however, I got 2.5 up and running almost instantly thanks
to Luke's making the packages available.  Read his original post:
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/orca-list/2006-June/msg00044.html

I think you'll find it easier than building.

Take care.
Joanie