Re: ANNOUNCE: Linux Kernel ORB: kORBit

On Wed, 13 Dec 2000, Chris Lattner wrote:

> Err... how about this:  Give me two or three kORBit syscalls and I can get
> rid of all the other 100+ syscalls!  :)

Like it ioctl() does it? Number of entry points is _not_ an issue. Diversity
of the API is. Technically, kernel has 1 (_o_n_e_) entry point as far as
userland is concerned. int 0x80 on x86. Can't beat that, can you?

Yes, standard RPC mechanism would be nice. No, CORBA is not a good candidate -
too baroque and actually known to lead to extremely tasteless APIs being
implemented over it. Yes, I mean GNOME. So sue me.

I would take 9P over that any day, thank you very much.