Aw: Re: wifi permanently switching between 2.4 and 5 GHz

> Gesendet: Mittwoch, 15. August 2018 um 18:36 Uhr
> Von: "Dan Williams" <dcbw redhat com>
> An: "Greg Oliver" <oliver greg gmail com>, Juergen Bausa web de
> Cc: networkmanager-list gnome org
> Betreff: Re: wifi permanently switching between 2.4 and 5 GHz
> On Tue, 2018-08-14 at 23:04 -0500, Greg Oliver via networkmanager-list
> wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 14, 2018 at 2:24 PM "Jürgen Bausa" <Juergen Bausa web de>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > I have a Xiaomi Air 12 Laptop (Intel Core m3-7Y30, Network
> > > controller:
> > > Intel Corporation Wireless 8260
> > > (rev 3a)). I use debian Stretch (linux 4.9.0-7-amd64) with KDE and
> > > Network-Mananger (1.6.2-3).
> >

> This is behavior specific to wpa_supplicant and how it decides to roam
> between access points. It attempts to roam to a BSSID within the same
> SSID that has a better speed/signal. It is expected that it might jump
> between BSSIDs when conditions change.
>
> Does the switching cause an actual problem? It's supposed to happen
> very quickly, within a couple 10s of ms.

I am not sure. Once wifi was not stable and I was searching for the reason.
Than I found out about the switching and thought that this must be the reason.
However, in the meantime I found out, that the switching happens very often
without causing unstable connection in any case.

Jürgen