Re: Homenet

Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw that on Tue, 22 Mar 2016, Xen would write:

This is the flawed method of addressing I was discussing:

- the external address of your network, and
- the internal address of your sub-network

should be different and independent numbers.

But both are expected to sit in the same 128 bit field, which is clearly impossible unless you forget about the 64-bit prefix and use your own 64 bits to create your own subnet prefixes as required.

None of this is any problem at all.  From a /60 prefix (such as AT&T
supplies) you have 16 internal /64 subnets.  I have a /64 prefix (I
didn't ask for more simply because I wanted to practice working with
subnets smaller than /64), which I split up in /80 subnets.  The
only wrinkle is that this requires DHCP6 or static addressing.  Both
of which even Windows supports with no issues.

That would imply that addressing in the home should not even USE the first 64 bit of the address field. That in turn would imply that the network should only have one (external) prefix, or that addressing from the outside using that prefix should be uniquely resolvable at all times, which means that if different prefixes ARE used, the internal host part should still be unique.

IP6 is globally addressable.  None of these problems you describe
actually exist that I have seen.  And to "address" previous comments
from you, that is NOT the same thing as globally *accessible*.  Your
house (mentioned in your previous comment) has a global address that
people send mail to.  But it has a "firewall" (your neighbors) that
prevents uncontrolled access.

If the issue is that you want an IP6 that doesn't change when you change
IP6 ISPs, then the situation is exactly the same as IP4.  Use a virtual
IP in the address spaces provided.  I recommend CJDNS for globally
addressable IP6 IPs that are independent of any ISP.

If the issue is that you want a stable IP for a mobile device, then
use mobile IP6 (and/or its mobile IP4 derivative).  Or use a traditional
VPN.  Or use CJDNS - which routes directly like mobile IP6.