Re: How to tell NM to ignore some interfaces

On Wed, 2015-11-18 at 09:06 +0000, Jetchko Jekov wrote:
OK, I checked  /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/85-nm-unmanaged.rules.
I extended it for my purposes (w)hy there aren't rules by default for
libvirt and docker bridges btw?

NM makes a distinction between software/virtual interfaces (like
bridge/bond/team/macvlan/tap/etc) and hardware ones.  By default NM
will manage hardware interfaces because they always exist.  But for
virtual interfaces NM will not manage that interface by default if NM
did not create it.

But for the VM-type interfaces exposed by VMWare, VirtualBox, others
and veth it's not easy to determine, so NM uses the udev rules to do so
instead of hardcoding things like driver names and whatnot in NM
itself.

I am including updated rules file.
With all this in place. (NM config file is still the same)

$ udevadm test /sys/class/net/tap0
[ -- cut -- ]
ACTION=add
DEVPATH=/devices/virtual/net/tap0
ID_MM_CANDIDATE=1
ID_NET_DRIVER=tun
ID_NET_LINK_FILE=/usr/lib/systemd/network/99-default.link
IFINDEX=6
INTERFACE=tap0
NM_UNMANAGED=1
SUBSYSTEM=net
SYSTEMD_ALIAS=/sys/subsystem/net/devices/tap0
TAGS=:systemd:
USEC_INITIALIZED=184623250

I see NM_UNMANAGED=1 is there. Still, when I open my vpn connection
NM is
running dhclient on it.
Whats more interesting is that it first kills my dhclient which is
run from
openvpn's up script..
Whats even more interesting is that this tap0 interface ends up with
2 IPs
obtained via dhcp ....

NM should not be doing this.  We'll look into it; is there any chance
you could file a bug on bugzilla.gnome.org with the info so it doesn't
get lost/forgotten/etc?

Dan

Jeka

On Tue, Nov 17, 2015 at 11:45 PM Dan Williams <dcbw redhat com>