Re: Approaching NetworkManager 1.2

On Wed, 2015-11-04 at 07:53 +0100, Tore Anderson wrote:
* Lubomir Rintel <lkundrak v3 sk>

If anyone believes anything important is missing it's a good time to
speak up now.

A couple of suggestions:

1) IPv6 method cleanup:
   * Get rid of «Automatic (DHCP only)»
   * Get rid of «Automatic (Addresses only)»

I wouldn't get rid of "Automatic (Addresses only)" since this is what
enables you to ignore DNS servers/routes and use your own.

     disable_ipv6 sysctl).

(In general I think the «method» concept is somewhat misguided to begin
with, even for IPv4. I'd rather see it be replaced by a set of mostly
independent toggles to enable/disable various features, to allow for
arbitrary combinations. For example: It is currently impossible to use
SLAAC in combination with a manual static address. I can't see any good
reason for that.)

Yeah, we've talked about that for a couple years but nobody's gotten
around to it.  Note that you can currently use SLAAC in addition to
manual addresses already, though what you probably want is SLAAC to
deliver the prefix/DNS/etc and use a static IP with that prefix?

Dan

2) Support for IPv6 sharing. Relevant technologies here:
   * DHCPv6 Prefix Delegation (RFC 3633)
   * ND Proxy (RFC 4389)
   * 3GPP /64 share (RFC 7278) [Note: ND Proxy covers this use case]

Maybe I'll think of more later.

Tore