Re: Disabling ip4 and IPV6 on F20RC1

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bjørn Mork" <bjorn mork no>
To: "Pavel Simerda" <psimerda redhat com>
Both link local and global addresses can be manually configured
in the sense that the interface identifier can be manually configured.

Obviously.

In context of NetworkManager features, static/manual addressing refers to global addresses, configured by the
user, that are added to the network interface, while link-local adresses are configured by the kernel. See
below.

I don't know anything about OpenVZ,

Works pretty well.

“venet devices are not fully IPv6 compliant, but still works if you statically assign IPv6 addresses. They do
not properly support MAC addresses and consequently link local addresses and can not play nice with neighbor
discovery or router advertisements, router discovery, or auto-conf.”

(source: http://openvz.org/IPv6)

OpenVZ venet interfaces work as expected, you can't distinguish them from compliant IPv6 on Ethernet from the
network. Therefore it's 100% interoperable but not compliant. That sounds like the standard which is there to
ensure interoperability imposes restrictions that are not necessary for a specific case. Of course OpenVZ
could add a pair of link-local adresses for each network but they would never be used in practice.

but ppp links do of course distinguish between link-local and global addresses.

I don't have an IPv6-enabled PPP connection right at hand but I think I've seen a working setup without one.
But I'm not going to set up one right now, so there's no point in arguing over that. I guess the simple fact
that you technically don't need link-local addresses for global routing doesn't help you.

The Linux kernel does of course also distinguish between link-local and
global addresses, regardless of interface type.

Obviously.

Link local and global addresses are not interchangable.

Obviously.

There's actually no reason you would need link-local addresses for
static configuration.

I hear you say that.  You are wrong.

It's actually trivial to test that by either:

a) Simply configuring global addresses using iproute and using tools like ping to communicate over the
network.

b) Actually learning about the protocols and/or watching packet flow using tcpdump or a similar tool.

IPv6 routing works exactly the same as IPv4 routing except that ARP packets for the first hop resolution are
replaced with ICMP packets. When communicating over global IPv6 addresses, you never need to use a link-local
one. If you can challenge that on technical ground, I'm buying you a dinner.