Re: wwan0 built in toshiba

Thomas Schäfer <tschaefer t-online de> writes:
Am 31.08.2013 16:44, schrieb Dan Williams:

Thomas, if you manually apply the patch to the udev rules on that
laptop, does the patch fix the issue?

Dan

I do not see him very often. I will ask him, but can promise nothing.
His motivation will not be very high, because it is his production
notebook and he has a working solution.
Next week I have an appointment for testing IPv6, i will try to apply
this patch too.

Can somebody explain in simple words, what the advantage of MBIM versus
ncm is?

The main advantage is that MBIM includes a management protocol. NCM
mobile devices are usually managed using vendor specific AT commands.
That's what Ericsson and Huawei does at least.  I don't know of any
other mobile device vendor using NCM.

But given that MM has well proven support for the AT command management,
and that MBIM support isn't mature yet, there isn't much of an advantage
to the end user.  (This could change soon when the MBIM support is well
polished and available in distros.)

There are also other theoretical advantages to MBIM like no ethernet
headers and multiplexed IP sessions, but I don't know if these are
selling points to any end user.  The multiplexed IP sessions could maybe
become an interesting feature, but we'd have to see devices supporting
it first.  Not even the MC7710, which can support more than one IP
session in QMI mode using multiple interfaces, support this yet in MBIM
mode.

cdc_ncm seems very comfortable to me.

qmi_wwan at the wwan-side too,

but what does mbim (better)?

I guess the answer is "nothing" at the moment.

As usual: If you have a solution that is working for you, then chances
are high that you are best off keeping it.  Experimenting with new stuff
is mostly for those without any working solution, or us masochists
actually enjoying it :-)

Bjørn