Re: nm-applet und PolicyKit: ** (nm-applet:8913): WARNING **: Failed to add/activate connection: (32) Insufficient privileges.

Dear Dan,

thank you for your quick response.

Am Donnerstag, den 17.05.2012, 13:08 -0500 schrieb Dan Williams:
> On Thu, 2012-05-17 at 19:40 +0200, Paul Menzel wrote:

> > when using nm-applet with an alternative window manager besides GNOME
> > there seems to be a problem that `polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1`
> > is not started and therefore no new connections can be added [1][2].
> >
> > Strangely
> >
> >     /etc/xdg/autostart/polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1.desktop
> >
> > contains
> >
> >     OnlyShowIn=GNOME;XFCE;Unity;
> >
> > so the PolicyKit “wrapper” is not started for other window managers or
> > desktop environments than listed there.
> >
> > This has the effect, that nm-applet does not work fully.
> >
> > Besides that this problem should probably be fixed directly in
> > PolicyKit, could nm-applet warn, if the PolicyKit stuff is not setup
> > correctly, sot that the user has a clue what to look for. Currently only
> > the following message is displayed in a box.
>
> Unfortunately we can't determine from PK whether an authorization agent
> is registered or not.

That sounds strange. From my noob perspective there should be a way to
query if an agent is running or not.

But I do not know about PolicyKit and authorization agents either.

> But what we could do is update the error message to possibly point out
> that either you couldn't authenticate yourself, or no PK
> authentication agent was available.

Yeah. That would be a good idea. Could you cook up a patch or would it
just be elaborating the error message? Then I could do that.

> >     Failed to add/activate connection: (32) Insufficient privileges.
> >
> > Lastly, or am I mistaken and other window manager can provide a
> > PolicyKit alternative so they should not rely on
> > `polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1.desktop`?
>
> Each DE can provide their own.  KDE provides one, GNOME provides one,
> and other DEs can use the one you show here or create their own.

It looks like quite a hassle to list *every* desktop environment in that
whitelist. Even if it is only needed when certain applications or
applets or started.

> Basically, if you've built NM with PolicyKit support, then it depends on
> PolicyKit being set up correctly, of course.

Of course. But a way to verify this would be even better. ;-)

Thanks,

Paul