Re: Bearers in mixed CDMA+LTE modems

>>> It's supposed to work that way according to the eHRPD docs.  I tried to
>>> drivetest this Friday but due to my own stupidity I forgot to take the
>>> modem out of LTE+HRPD mode and into AUTO+eHRPD so I couldn't capture the
>>> handoff and then I ran out of battery.  My bad, I'll try again.
>>>

>> Needless to say that I would love to see the logs :-)
>>
>>> But at least the UE is supposed to make this transparent according to
>>> 3GPP2 X.S0057-A.  If the ME already has IP address information from the
>>> network, in the VSNCP Configure-Request packet it sets the Attach-Type
>>> configuration option to "handoff" and includes the existing IP
>>> information (10.1.4.2).
>>>
>>> Section 13 (Handoff from E-UTRAN to eHRPD) states:
>>>
>>> "For optimized handoff, when the UE accesses eHRPD via the E-UTRAN radio
>>> and the S101 tunnel, it shall send a VSNCP Configure-Request message
>>> with Attach-Type set to handover to the HSGW for each of it's existing
>>> PDN connections in the EPS system that it intends to maintain in eHRPD."
>>>
>>> Section 13.1.1 step 7 says:
>>>
>>> "The UI exchanges VSNCP messages with the HSGW for each PDN connection
>>> that it currently has attachments to within E-UTRAN and that it wants to
>>> maintain on eHRPD.  The UI sets the Attach-Type to "handoff" in the
>>> VSNCP Configure-Request message.  Also, the UI includes the IP
>>> address(es) it obtained via LTE in the VSNCP Configure-Request message."
>>>
>>> See also section 13.1.1 where it details what happens for optimized
>>> handoff; non-optimized handoff is supposed to be the same, more or less.
>>>
>>> So let's assume that the IP address is supposed to stay the same.  Next,
>>> the standard talks in various places about separate bearers for EPS and
>>> eHRPD, like 13.2.1: "When the UE returns to eHRPD to resume the existing
>>> eHRPD session, the PDN connections are created per the context that the
>>> UI had on E-UTRAN.  Likewise, bearers are established to  match those
>>> that were available on E-UTRAN."
>>>
>>> Basically, it appears that bearers may change at various times, but the
>>> IP addresses may stay the same across bearer changes in some cases too.
>>> The problem is that we don't really want to expose that to clients much,
>>> because it's not really that useful to know that bearers are dancing
>>> around.  You really just want to know if one of your existing bearers
>>> *changed* attributes like IP addressing or QoS/TFT, since the modem and
>>> network appear to do all they can to maintain characteristics between
>>> E-UTRAN and eHRPD.  I also still don't know how these changes are
>>> presented via AT, WMC, or QMI, and how much of this the modem does
>>> internally and hides from these interfaces but I'm still trying to
>>> figure out.  Unfortunately the end of my LTE coverage is about 30+
>>> minutes away in all directions...
>>>

>> Having read the document, it really seems that the whole eHRPD setup
>> makes the handoff to/from LTE much much *much* more transparent than
>> what I thought (keeping the IP addresses during the handoff is just one
> [...]

Yes, I think we're in the same page here. The ATDT#777-based connection
to the CDMA network would only be used *if 4G is not an allowed mode*
(i.e. we don't want LTE); we won't expect the modem to automagically
handoff to LTE from a connection started with ATDT#777. Anyway, this
would really be the generic implementation that specific plugins can
reimplement with more detail.

--
Aleksander