Re: Gateway and link-local (IPv4) possible?

On Sun, 2011-05-22 at 17:04 +0200, W. Martin Borgert wrote:

> This sounds like the perfect setup for the PC side. (In many
> cases this would be an MS-Windows PC, though.)

Well, they call it "internet connection sharing" over at Microsoft's
place. At least that's what it used to be called in the Windows XP days.

> I wonder, what is the complementary NM setup for the embedded devices side?

I should think that it is "Automatic (DHCP)" with "Require IPv4
addressing for this connection to complete" disabled. I'm not quite sure
if some other features are needed such as "zeroconf networking" or
similar, this might depend on your distribution.

> Is there a connection type in network manager, that first tries
> DHCP (dhclient) and after timing out tries local link as second
> option?

I think that with some of the functionality from zeroconf networking
(wich provides LL-addressing for IPv4, mDNS name resolution, and service
discovery), this should be feasible.

regards

Marc