Re: RFE: multiple default gateways

On 05/11/2011 01:12 PM, Ferry Huberts wrote:
> Hi list/Dan
>
> Yesterday I by accident looked at the routing table of a Windows 7 laptop
> with both ethernet and wlan connected and I saw something interesting:
>
> Both connections set up a default gateways in the routing table!
> Each default gateway takes the metric of the connection to which it
> belongs, so for for example for the ethernet a metric of 0, for the wlan a
> metric of 100, etc.
>
> Which is quite logical in fact and made me wonder why we don't do that?
> It seems obvious now that I've seen it done, or am I missing something?
>
> I've tested it on my F15 laptop and seems to work
>
> This would also make any code handling the default gateway go away!
> You'd just need to clean up all entries belonging to the connection that's
> going away, and not touch other routing entries :-)
>

> Example routing table:
>
> Destination     Gateway         Genmask         F  Metric R U Iface
> 192.168.1.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U  0      0 0 eth0
> 192.168.1.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U  1000   0 0 wlan0
> 0.0.0.0         192.168.1.1     0.0.0.0         UG 0      0 0 eth0
> 0.0.0.0         192.168.1.1     0.0.0.0         UG 1000   0 0 wlan0

I tested some ifdown/ifup combinations and currently it doesn't do the
correct thing:
- have both links up
- have 2 default routes, like described above
- ifdown eth0
- ifup eth0
- ifdown wlan0
---> default gateway entry of eth0 is removed, no default gateway is left

I think this is because NM is triggered from the CLI.

I'm also seeing the default gateway for eth0 having a metric of 0 while
the network route for eth0 has a metric of 1. This is a mismatch!

Maybe either or both of these are the cause of things not working
correctly currently. I'm guessing mostly the fact that NM is triggered
being the cause.

grtz

--
Ferry Huberts