Re: Network Manager reason codes

On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 3:56 PM, Sven Nielsen <post svennielsen de> wrote:

> Yes, every card / driver is different ;) And documentation on the parameters is sparse usually..
>
> If your driver supports some "undefined" positive sens value you can experiment with different settings and
> see if you find some relation to link quality perhaps, or, you just find a value that works for you.
> Testing should be easy as you can just change the value while connected and walking the house. Have this
> line running in some terminal then you see as soon as your card roams to the other AP:
>
> while true; do iwconfig wlan0 |grep Access ; sleep 1; done
>
> Good luck

I tried some tests with a laptop running ipw2200 with operating system
Fedora F15 (nightly live image which was built yesterday). Adjusting
the sens parameter does let the laptop roam beautifully between two
APs with the same ssid. So you were exactly right.  It seems I do
indeed need to chase down the driver code for my other netbook (ath5k)
which does not permit changes to, or report, the sens parameter.

At some point I will test another machine running iwlwifi 4965 but it
is a little late Sunday evening here. However I am now confident that
this will work fine - and NetworkManager is not a problem when it
comes to roaming!

Thank you again for your help - it is much appreciated.
--
mike c