Re: NM without PolicyKit ?

On Mon, 2011-01-31 at 17:43 +0100, toabctl wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i ude NetworkManager on an embedded device and don't need policykit.
> Is it possible to use network-manager without policykit?
>
> I've written a Client with libnm-glib and libnm-util and when i want
> to use the client, i get:
>
> WARNING **: Remote Exception invoking
> org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.Authority.CheckAuthorization()
> on /org/freedesktop/PolicyKit1/Authority at name
> org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown:
> The name org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1 was not provided by any .service
> files

It's not possible without code changes, but I wouldn't mind if a patch
showed up.  It should be pretty simple to do as the PolicyKit code isn't
that hard to find, and isn't too hard to work around.  Basically,
instead of doing the PK stuff, just call the callback that we pass to PK
with a result of AUTHORIZED.  We do want it appropriately #ifdefed
though, but it might be simpler to just make a small helper sourcefile
for this that simulates the Polkit functions and bypasses them
internally if polkit is disabled.