rt3070sta not controllable with networkmanager

Greetings,

I have an rt3070sta based wifi usb adapter. I've actually got it working, but I have to manually connect it to the correct ap (using ifconfig, iwconfig, and dhcpcd) and cannot use NetworkManager. When starting NetworkManager --no-daemon I get the following output:

NetworkManager: <info> starting...
NetworkManager: <info> modem-manager is now available

(NetworkManager:5268): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_error_free: assertion `error != NULL' failed
NetworkManager: Loaded plugin keyfile: (c) 2007 - 2008 Red Hat, Inc. To report bugs please use the NetworkManager mailing list.
NetworkManager: <info> WiFi enabled by radio killswitch; enabled by state file
NetworkManager: <info> WWAN enabled by radio killswitch; enabled by state file
NetworkManager: Ignoring insecure configuration file '/etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/.keep_net-misc_networkmanager-0'
NetworkManager: <info> (eth0): carrier is OFF
NetworkManager: <info> (eth0): new Ethernet device (driver: 'r8169')
NetworkManager: <info> (eth0): exported as /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/Devices/0
NetworkManager: <info> (eth0): now managed
NetworkManager: <info> (eth0): device state change: 1 -> 2 (reason 2)
NetworkManager: <info> (eth0): preparing device.
NetworkManager: <info> (eth0): deactivating device (reason: 2).
NetworkManager: Added default wired connection 'Auto eth0' for /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1c.6/0000:08:00.0/net/eth0
NetworkManager: <WARN> device_creator(): /sys/devices/virtual/net/ra0: couldn't determine device driver; ignoring...
* status: started
NetworkManager: <WARN> default_adapter_cb(): bluez error getting default adapter: The name org.bluez was not provided by any .service files

The only important/unexpected line as far as I can tell is that it couldn't determine the device driver for ra0, my wifi device. It seems odd to me that this device is in a "virtual" device folder, is that part of the problem? I'm at a total loss as to how NetworkManager is expecting to relate the device to its driver.

The distro I'm using is Gentoo, and I configured the kernel myself. I also compiled the wifi driver myself (even had to make some modifications to get it to compile.. nothing major, just update some function names and add a license tag).

I'm not sure what other info would be helpful in solving this problem, I will try to be prompt with any requests for more information.

Thanks,
Dan O.