Re: brcmsmac driver only works when sitting next to the AP

Hi Camaleón,

thanks for the additional information you provided.

One difference, though, is that now (with kernel 3.0.0) when I shutdown
the system it hangs at NetworkManager if wifi LED is on. As soon as I
turn off the wifi led, the system can continue the shutdown.

> Moreover, "service network-manager stop" returns "failed" unless I
> first turn off the wifi led (and so phy0 hard blocked is set as "yes").

Interesting observations. Ok, lets keep this in the back of our minds but first focus on the bad scan results.

>> Can you do a 'rfkill unblock all' to see if that makes a difference ?
>> It makes no difference. No wifi networks are detected automatically nor connecting manually to a hidden network is possible (unless I sit next to the AP).

Hmmm, so it seems that rfkill switch functionality is not causing the bad scan result.

Can you try to disable Bluetooth (e.g. by temporary blacklisting the bluetooth modules) ? Bluetooth operates in the same frequency band as WiFi.

Would you happen to know if with kernel 2.6.39, the brcmsmac driver was active as well (and not a different driver) ?

> Just in case this helps, I have tried another wifi adapater (USB, based
> on rt2xx chipset) and works like a charm, I mean, it detects the
> avialbale wifi networks and automatically stablishes a connection with
> mine.

Lets shoot for that as well :-)

Thanks, Roland.