Re: modems using same port for data & AT command

Network statistics are a different story - you're not querying the modem for those; you're querying the ppp interface. The Linux kernel keeps track of the network flowing over that interface. If you run 'ifconfig', you'll likely see ppp0 as a network interface, complete with statistics.