Re: nm-applet or alternative for small resolutions?

On Mon, 2010-09-27 at 15:56 -0400, John Connolly wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm not sure if this is also the place for networkmanager-gnome
> related inquiries, but here goes.  The device I'm working with
> supports a tiny 320x240 touchscreen display running
> matchbox-wm/desktop.
>
> Is anyone aware of a still-maintained frontend for
> networkmanager/modem-manager that is more suitable for such a small
> resolution? I'm willing to patch nm-applet and/or collaborate on
> projects for this purpose.  I'm even willing to abandon matchbox in
> favor of a window-manager with a decent small-resolution UI for
> networkmanager.

There is network-manager-netbook, but that hasn't been updated in a
while.  If you'd be interested in moving that forward I'm sure it would
be appreciated.  It uses a window-based UI that's more suitable for
netbooks but that probably also would translate into better suitability
for really small screens like you have.

It's harder than it should be to create a UI front-end from scratch,
which is also something we're fixing up for NM 0.9 by moving a lot of
the logic that is required in user applets into NM itself and flattening
the architecture.

Dan