Re: WPA2 password problem

On 09/17/2010 04:27 AM, Marc Herbert wrote:
My current paranoid theory is that the M$ setup CD configures the
WPA2 with a binary key, derived from the passphrase by a proprietary
password hash that only Windows uses.  In several days of googling
this problem, I've seen several claims that M$ has 2 password hashes
that it tries with WPA2 (thus enabling Windows to also work with
standard APs).  M$ had an excuse for that with WEP, since it hadn't
been standardized yet, but not with WPA2.
Interesting... It should be possible to prove this "two hash
functions" theory from packet captures: some of them should show TWO
connection attempts, the first attempt _failing_ with the mismatched
hash function. Note that I said "some captures": the first hash
function tried by Windows could well be the correct one by chance and
then you will not see anything unusual. Then you need to capture
against the other AP style.

Another way to prove this two hash functions theory would be to try
and fail to decrypt traffic with your problematic AP. Aircrack-ng has
normally zero problem decrypting a WPA capture as long as: 1. you give
it the key, and 2. the capture includes the initial handshake. So
seeing aircrack-ng fail would strongly support your theory. Warning: this
tool has a lot of quirks, so first make sure you can make it work on
your system by decrypting at least _another_, non-problematic WPA
capture.

Please keep us updated.

Note: as a lesser sin, maybe Windows just implemented some hash before
the WPA standard was completed and then left it there. Just a wild
guess...
I didn't see this in time, and now I have to reset the unit and configure through web interface so it works. However, the setup CD reproduces the Windows only key.