Re: NetworkManager Won't Save Passwords

On Mon, 2010-09-13 at 12:08 -0500, alkos333 wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 11:12 AM, Robby Workman <rw rlworkman net> wrote:
> > Does it work in a desktop environment (e.g. kde or xfce)?
> >
> > It's fine here in xfce, fwiw.
>
> I haven't tried with KDE or xfce - just fluxbox.

nm-applet uses gnome-keyring, which needs a bit of setup when used in
non-GNOME environments.  If gnome-keyring isn't built with D-Bus
support, then you need to start "gnome-keyring-daemon --daemonize
--login" when your desktop session starts.  This will print out an
environment variable that needs to be inserted into the environment of
any other program that starts in the session, which looks like this:

GNOME_KEYRING_CONTROL=/tmp/keyring-hSwpKJ

this lets programs like nm-applet know where to look for the keyring
daemon, which is what actually stores your passwords securely.  If you
google around there used to be instructions on how to get KDE to handle
running gnome-keyring-daemon manually, I'd assume that whatever session
manager is starting up your desktop probably has the same functionality.