Re: connection lost on roaming wifi networks

On Fri, 17 Sep 2010 10:55:23 +0200, Jirka Klimes wrote:

> On Wednesday 15 of September 2010 14:52:02 Frederik Himpe wrote:
>> I'm using Debian Squeeze kernel 2.6.32-21 (iwlagn 1.3.27ks) with an
>> Intel Corporation Ultimate N WiFi Link 5300 [8086:4235].
>>
>> Whenever I use my laptop in a place where different APs provide roaming
>> for a wifi network, my system seems to suddenly (without moving) roam
>> to another AP, after which the connection stops working completely
>> (cannot ping anymore, etc) while NetworkManager shows I'm still
>> connected.
>>
>> I can easily reproduce this, on two different roaming networks.
>>
>> I also tried kernel 2.6.35-1~experimental.3, but it has the same
>> problematic behaviour.
>>

> There's a problem with getting IP from DHCP server. See DHCPREQUEST
> requests, but no reply. Is the DHCP server properly running, replying?
> Try to capture packets in wireshark to see if there is any DHCP server
> response.
> Or just configure the connection with static IP to verify that the
> issues are indeed due to DHCP.

No, the issue is not DHCP: the fact that there is no reply to the
DHCPREQUEST is just a symptom of my problem, but it is not the cause. The
problem already starts from Sep 14 09:14:43, when it decides to roam.
>From that moment on, the connection is broken. A few minutes later, when
my old DHCP lease expires, and then it fails to get a new one because the
wifi connection is broken.

--
Frederik Himpe