Re: Removing user settings services

Daniel Gnoutcheff wrote:
> As per Dan's suggestion, I've started a Wiki page to help with planning
> this:
> http://live.gnome.org/NetworkManager/RemovingUserSettings
>
> I've put up all the use cases I could think of along with a first-stab
> proposal. Do please share your comments and/or suggestions! Comments
> welcome on both the wiki page itself and on this list.

Nice to see that you've thought about good old dial-up lines too :-)

I'm not sure the privileges need to be that fine grained as in your
proposal though. Physical access to a system likely allows to
terminate any connection anyways e.g. by unplugging the device or
it's wire or by hitting the kill switch. So the different
'deactivate' types are kind of moot. I'd probably even declare that
the 'activate' privilege covers the deactivate cases so the
'deactivate' privilege could be left out. A front-end could
nevertheless warn the user if she tries to deactivate a connection
of another, still logged in user of course.

> Do we want to have connections that are automatically deactivated when a user
> logs out and/or locks their session?

Terminating a connection on log out makes sense if it's charged per
time at least, like plain old modem connections. That avoids having
to accidentally pay for the connection while noone actually uses the
computer.

cu
Ludwig

--