Re: How to save pin number and auto-connect on startup?

Hi Dan

> He's talking about something that's new in NM 0.8.1, likely.
> Immediately when the modem is plugged in and nm-applet notices that
> modem-manager needs a PIN code, nm-applet will ask you for that PIN
> code.

For which functionality/feature is this needed?

> Now here's the problem: the PIN is specific to the *SIM*, not the
> device.  But most modems don't allow us to request the IMSI (the SIM's
> serial #) before we've entered the PIN, so we have no idea which PIN to
> use with this device.  Chicken+egg problem really.  There may be some
> ways to work around this (store the PIN with whatever attributes we
> *can* get from the device) and just do best-effort, asking the user when
> we can't figure it out.  Needs to be written though.
>
> Dan

Are there already patches available?
Or can this be disabled (naturally with the loss of the feature for which the
PIN is needed)?

For me, a "default" PIN which is entered one time and which is always used
(independent of the device/modem) would be perfect. If the "default" is not
working, ask me (the user) with this popup :-)

As I have a build-in modem in my laptop, everytime I boot or even on every
resume from suspend I have to enter the PIN which is really annoying. Using NM
0.8.1 from Debian Squeeze.

Thanks,
Achim