NM post-connect hooks?

We'd like to run some hook function after NM thinks the connection is
'connected' and before it reports the 'connected' status to NM
clients.  In particular, we find that our users try to connect to
broken networks of some sort or another with no way to reach the
outside world, even though NM reports 'connected'.  We'd like to do
some simple sanity checks on the network before NM tells xulrunner,
our application, etc that we're got a valid connection.

I looked through the NM 0.7.1 source code, and there's nm-dispatcherd
and a number of 'action' hooks in callouts/ -- can anyone tell me if I
could use this mechanism to do the thing I describe above?  We've
already got nm-dispatcher.d hook functions to run ntpdate, etc, but
what I want is for NM to use the return code of my hook to affect the
connection state, and I don't think nm-dispatcher.d does that.  Any
ideas?
 --scott

--
        (http://cscott.net)