Re: So very close, but so frustrating...

Andrew wrote:
mobile device, the viable connections would change over time - and, ideally, the transition from one Wi-Fi router to the next would be seamless - and wouldn't even cause tcp connections to drop... assuming,
I don't see how a transition like than can be seamless when I, for instance, have an SSH or FTP session.  The ssh/ftp server would most definitely disconnect from the client, if the client changes its IP address.

Or am I totally wrong?
The IP address of the client need not change - if a VPN is used...
of course, movement is constrained to an area with sufficiently many accessible Wi-Fi routers. Perhaps this is an issue with the underlying Wi-Fi support? 2. If multiple routers can be accessed, it would be great if the bandwidth of these routers could be combined, for example, when downloading a large file.
I once read something about combining multiple independent network interfaces (each with its own IP address) to make single requests, but it sounded rather complicated IIRC.
It is complicated, IMHO - but not impossible. Perhaps it is impractical - I'm not sure. It would be neat.

Steve

P.S. Humph - while (as far as I can tell) I had mobile connections working from my desk - today, trying to use the connection in real life, it failed... what's more - my adoption of Blueman prevented my old wvdial script from working - or, at least, I think that's what changed. Hurumph - it is rather temperamental.