Re: Prevent auto scan in wireless devices

Aloisio Almeida wrote:
Hi all,

I noticed that wireless devices are always scanning, and this is very
bad to power consuption in embedded systems.

Having looked at Wi-Fi power consumption last year while working on a MID project, we did some measurements with a Marvell SD8686 card and found that backing off the scanning didnd't really save all that much power compared to when the device was associated with an AP and PS-Mode was enabled.

This led us to the conclusion that the only way to really save power while unassociated ( at least with the SD8686 ) was to toggle the power to the card when NM was in it's inactive phase ( ie. not associated, and not currently scanning ).

I haven't looked to closely at NM 0.7 to see how applicable this approach is, but if I get some time, I'll try and do so...

Any comments? Is it a good way to implement that?

In the past, Dan has stated that he's against making scanning directly controllable via DBUS.

Ciao,
/tony