Re: long delay for scan results after suspend

On Thu, 2009-12-10 at 16:22 +0000, Daniel Drake wrote:
> With the new OLPC XO-1.5, our kernel driver fully powers down the
> wireless device during suspend to the point where the kernel thinks the
> SDIO card has been ejected.
>
> It immediately comes back on resume, but there is a delay of
> approximately 20 seconds before NM offers scan results to Sugar, which
> is frustratingly long.

The delay isn't quite so severe, at least for me. I think we may have
been seeing other problems.

However, we do still face a 4-5 second delay due to constructor() in
nm-device.c:

	/* Delay transition from UNMANAGED to UNAVAILABLE until we've given the
	 * system settings service a chance to figure out whether the device is
	 * managed or not.
	 */
	priv->start_timer = g_timeout_add_seconds (4, device_start, dev);

Can we do better than that? For an aggressive-suspend setup like ours,
having to wait this long for networks to crop up again is quite harmful
to the user experience.

And just out of curiosity, is this any better in 0.8? I can see that the
code has moved around quite a bit.

Thanks,
Daniel